above image: Less Noise, by Josef Muller Brockmann
1. What are some of the characteristics of the International Typographic Style?
2. What was the attitude of the early pioneers of the ITS?
3. Know who Ernst Keller, Theo Ballmer and Max Bill are
4. What did the Institute of Design in Ulm, Germany do?
5. What is semiotics? List three branches of semiotics and define each
6. Describe Max Huber's design style
7. Describe the dialogue between Anton Stankowski's painting and graphic design.
8. What city did Stankowski and his studio develop a design program for?
9. Tell me about Adrian Fruitiger and his typeface Univers.
10. Helvetica is an upgrade of what typeface? Who designed Helvetica?
11. Who designed Palatino and Optima?
12. What two swiss cities were important in the development of the ITS?
13. Who was Emil Ruder? What was the name of his book?
14. Who was Armin Hofmann?
15. Tell me about the journal: New Graphic Design
16. Josef Muller Brockmann: list three things about him
17. What is the golden mean?
18. What was unusual about Siegfried Odermatt? (this could be answered a few ways)
19. Know the awesomeness that is Rudolph DeHarak and his book jackets for McGraw Hill. Know that he used a uniform typographic system and grid. What was his design approach when it came to these covers?
20. Tell me about the graphic design office at MIT. Who was the director of the office?